“I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes.” (2 Samuel 6:21-22 NIV)
- King David was returning the Ark of the Covenant back to the city of David
- Verse 13 says, “When those who were carrying the ark of the Lord had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might,”
- Some would view this as extreme but what is extreme when you have been extremely blessed by an extreme God?
- David saw this as the very least that He could do.
- When David’s wife, Michal saw this, she was disgusted.
- David said to her “I am going to celebrate the Lord and I will become even more undignified than this”
- He basically said, “You haven’t seen anything yet!”
- When it came to the Lord, David had no ego!
- He didn’t care to appear distinguished or dignified before men.
- He just wanted to give the Lord the best worship that he could possibly give!
- Does that describe you in worship or are you more concerned about what the people around you think?
- Are you more concerned about your own reputation or Gods?
- If you care more about people, then their acceptance and approval is all that you will receive.
- But if you are will to lay your pride down and come before the Lord in complete abandonment, you will come away with the blessing of God.
- The question is, are you out to touch God’s heart or impress people?
- When you abandon all of yourself, you leave God with something to fill.
- But if you are unwilling to abandon self, then you will be full of self. That leaves God with nothing to fill with His Spirit because you are already full of yourself.
- And the person who is full of self actually becomes the fool.
- Look at what it says about Michal, David’s wife, “So Michal, the daughter of Saul, remained childless throughout her entire life.”
- The “So” means that this was a direct result of the contempt in her heart.
- She became fruitless.
- Today, be willing to loose yourself in order to find God!
- Have a great Thursday!